Sticky Date Cake and Good Times

11:55 PM

This is probably the easiest cake I have baked in a long while. It fluffs up and is moist from inside. The flavor of dates is even better the next day. 

The recipe that I used is around 70 years old. When I was in the UK last year I went to this tiny bakery in Brighton. I have a thing for bakeries. I love love love bakeries. I think we all know that. Don't we? It was a rainy day and I wanted something with spices. The date cake was fresh from the oven. As usual, I started chatting with the owner. He was more than happy to share his recipe with me. He later told me that the recipe was given to him by his grandmother.

Last night we had a party at our place. It was an all Indian affair. I cooked all standard Indian dishes with probably zero twists. The dessert was my chance to be innovative. The afternoon was very windy and I was sure of a rainy evening. I think that's what prompted me to bake this one.



Here's the recipe, try and let me know what you think: 
Ingredients:

1 cup pitted and chopped dates ( I had pitted and chopped dates handy but you can boil them in little water and puree in a blender)
3 Eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar ( I used Shakkar)
100 gms butter 
2 cups white flour 
1 tsp Baking soda
1/3 cup walnuts ( optional)
A pinch of grated nutmeg 
1-1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract

Caramel Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh cream
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method:

Preheat Oven to 200 degrees for 10 minutes. Grease the cake pan and line base with greased baking paper

Mix dates and soda together and pour boiling water on it. Let it stand for 20 minutes or so to allow the dates to become tender

Sift flour and nutmeg well

Using a whisker beat butter, sugar and vanilla until brownish, pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in date mixture and flour. Mix until well combined

Pour the mixture into prepared cake pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 180 deg or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean

Once done, place it on the wire rack and allow it to cool

Caramel sauce:

Combine brown sugar, cream, vanilla in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until boiling. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pour warm sauce over warm cake or can be served on the side

And some leftover cake today morning :)


 


You Might Also Like

0 comments