A Cake Is All You Need

4:23 AM

A slice of cake, a good coffee and a good song. You just need simple things to get you started. 
Sometimes you just need a cake. On that note let me tell you that I love coffee cakes. 
Give me a light fluffy cake and I am the nicest person on this planet. I am really a cake person. 

Today morning I realized that I haven't had any cake in a while. So I looked around in my fridge and felt like a winner when I spotted two Valencia Oranges sitting prettily. A friend of mine got me a bag of Valencia Oranges from his farm. I love these oranges. They are so packed in flavor and are so sweet and refreshing. There is a little bit of tartness but it wakes you up. I have used them for salad dressings, as a snack, for chicken marination and I think it was time to use them in a cake. 

I looked around for a recipe and then decided to create my own. 

Upside Down Valencia Orange Cake

Ingredients:

1 orange thinly sliced (with the peel)
2 Tbsp Jaggery Sugar (Can use brown sugar)
2 Tbsp Butter
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tbsp baking powder
0.5 cup Jaggery sugar (Can use brown sugar)
0.25 cup white sugar
0.5 cup oil (I used rice bran oil)
0.5 cup thick yogurt (I used store bought)
Juice of 1 orange 
2 Tbsp orange zest
0.25 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 eggs

Note: I make my own zest. I peel the skin off and cut it in small pieces. In a pan I heat 2 tbsp water and 1 tsp sugar. I then add the zest to it and cook it for a minute. The zest becomes sweeter due to the mixture in which it is cooked

Method:


Brown the butter in a thick bottomed pan and then add 2 Tbsp Jaggery sugar when the mixture turns thick add the round slices of orange.

In a cake tin arrange slices at the bottom. Sprinkle the leftover butter-sugar mixture on them.


In a separate bowl sift flour and baking powder. Whisk the dry ingredients together.

In another bowl - Add sugar, yogurt, oil, orange juice, zest, eggs, lemon juice and mix them well.

Add dry ingredients to the wet batter in batches and whisk well.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Bake it thoroughly, especially in the center, or it may settle when it cools. 

Once the cake is done, let it cool. Place a plate and place the cake tin upside down. Remove the cake tin slowly. 

Enjoy The Cake

Ciao..


You Might Also Like

0 comments