Pumpkin Series..

10:54 PM

I hate missing my workouts and last night it was a forced rest day. I reached home late from work and then you know its a chain reaction.  So I decided to take the day off and relax. I looked in the fridge for possibilities and was super excited to see a jar of Pumpkin Puree.

I don't think that I’m ready for this Oh-My-God-it's-Fall attitude The internet has suddenly adopted this theme and like every year is going ga-ga over pumpkins. I am not a fan of Indian Pumpkin recipes. I think as a kid I opposed every gooey vegetable. So if the pumpkin is hidden well in the dish I have no issues eating it. We all have our quirks. Maybe, someday I will start eating like a grown-up .

I have incorporated pumpkin in to my breakfast and before you roll your eyes let me tell you that it tastes divine. I will share that recipe soon. So I normally make pumpkin puree at home for my weekly usage. Meal prep rocks!

I finished 1/4th of the cake before realizing that I needed to click a picture
For now, let me share this beautiful pumpkin cake recipe which I developed last night:

Ingredients:
1 Cup White Flour
1/3 Cup Ragi Flour
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
1.5 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup milk
2/3 Cup Cane Sugar
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Tsp Cinnamon powder
1 pinch of Nutmeg
3 eggs

Note: The idea was to use 1.5 Cups of White flour but I ran out of supplies. I decided to do some modifications and used 1/3 cup Ragi flour. You can use 1.5 cups of white flour or maybe mix and match with some wheat flour.

I had cane sugar available at home. You can use brown sugar, white sugar or jaggery sugar.

Method
I greased the pan and allowed the oven to pre-heat for 10 minutes.
In a bowl I mixed Flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk well.
Mix  eggs, milk, sugar, pumpkin puree in a separate bowl and whisk well
Add the dry mixture to the wet one in 3 parts and mixing well after each addition.
Pour the batter (Will be quite runny) on to the greased pan and put it inside the oven and bake until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.

Tip: I baked the cake on the highest setting (250 Degrees C in my case) for the first 15 minutes and then lowered the temperature to 200 for 20 minutes. 

Overall I was quite happy with the texture and taste. You can even add pumpkin spice to your cake. It is not easily available in India though.

Do you have any other cool pumpkin recipes?
Ciao..
P.S: I am starting a new Pumpkin series and will post quite a few pumpkin recipes with time

***************** Edited to Add*****************************************

Pumpkin Puree
This is in response to Sonal's comment. Check the simplest ways to make pumpkin puree:

Method 1:
Peel pumpkin 
Soak it in little water (1/4 cup water for 1 cup cut pumpkin)
And boil. You can pressure cook pumpkin too.. I prefer doing without it (Because I hate cleaning pressure cookers). Drain excess water and puree the boiled pieces using a blender/ processor

Method 2 (Only when I am in good mood):
Cut pumpkin (with skin) to small square pieces (1-2 inches)
Grease a tray with little oil and arrange the pieces upside down on it
Bake for 20-25 minutes. The pumpkin pieces will become tender and it will be easier to cut them with the skin on. 
When cooled remove the skin and puree the pieces using a blender/ processor 

 
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Oh Wow , This sounds so simple and looks delicious.
    I'm making my own as soon as you share the pumpkin puree recipe :). Too good !!

    ReplyDelete