General Tso's Tofu..

7:41 PM

I workout in the evenings and light dinners are simply not for me. My plate needs to be warm, hearty and comforting. Anything less and I feel starved. I am very particular about getting my macros right with every meal. I love dishes which are easy, flavorful and full of nutrients.

This one has become a family favorite.  Last night I posted a post picture on Instagram and Buls asked me if I was planning to blog it. Great idea, isn't it?  Before I do that I just want to tell you that I keep customizing recipes according to my taste and sensibilities. Also, I try to use local ( easily available) produce as much  possible  for these recipes but I am not so stuck up on only using  the local produce.  I try to maintain the balance or maybe that's what I think..

Traditionally this is a chicken dish but I tried it with Tofu and it tasted really nice.

The tofu needs to be fried for this however I just ended up shallow frying  with little  oil in the pan.

 This recipe has 4 servings and can be customized as per your preferences:
Ingredients
100gms Tofu
3 tsp Cornstarch + 1 tsp for sprinkling
1 Tbs cooking oil
1/4 cup brown sugar ( Normal can be used too)
3 Tbs Vinegar
3 tbs Ketchup
3/4 cup water (or Broth if available)
1 Tbs Sesame Oil (optional)
1.5 Tbs Soy sauce
1 tbs Garlic paste
1 tbs Ginger grated
1 tsp chilli powder
You can add vegetables too. I love loading my meals with vegetables. You can add vegetables as per availability. I diced them in big chunks and washed them thoroughly.
Vegetables
Broccoli (florets - 1/2 cup)
Red and Yellow peppers (1/2 each, you can also use one whole instead of adding two types )
Baby corn (1/2 cup)
Mushrooms diced (1/2 cup)
Green Onion  (Chopped - 1/2 cup)
Methods
  1. I cut Tofu in to 1 inch cubes and marinated it in vinegar, ginger and a little soy for 30 minutes
  1. I sprinkled 1 tsp cornstarch on it and shallow fried it until it turned golden brown
  1.  Sauce: Mix water/ broth, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, corn starch, ketchup, garlic paste
  1. Sauté vegetables on a low flame for a minute and add the sauce mixture, cook until thickened
  1. I sprinkled roasted sesame ( Totally optional)

This dish tastes best with steamed rice cooked to perfection.

Ciao..

You Might Also Like

0 comments