Hola!

11:02 AM

I love Mexican food. There are so many memories around Mexican food that probably just make this cuisine special for me. I remember eating Mexican food on a date during the early years of my job in the heart of Hyderabad. I keep thinking of that place. It is no longer operational but I remember the details quite vividly. Back then, that was my authentic go-to Mexican place.
Another place that's really special for me is a small germanized Mexican eatery.
I have had such lovely time with my Macedonian friend and Zee. I can keep talking about that friendship all night long. It was a perfect example of how three cultures, people with totally different upbringing and girls bonded over Mexican food and Cuba Libre.. Oh boy, what beautiful days. The friendships made over food are stronger and that's my belief.  The most authentic Mexican experience for me was when I traveled to Spain for the second time. I was treated to some authentic Mexican flavor. I had tears in my eyes because of chillies and yet I couldn't stop eating.
Oh and I how could I forget this place in good ol' Pune. Endless conversations over Margaritas and Nachos. That place is special or rather Poona is special.

Last weekend we went to this newly opened Mexican joint and all these memories came rushing back. That's when I decided to give Mexican food a shot in my Kitchen.
I constructed a dish in my head and it turned out amazing. I just couldn't resist myself from sharing here:
Mexican Rice with Pulled Chicken
I bent the rules a bit for cooking pulled chicken. I used my pressure cooker for that. I love pulled chicken and I think its a blessing to mankind.

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown rice ( You can use plain white rice as well)
1/4 cup Kidney beans
4 Skinless chicken breast
Any Barbecue Sauce
6 Tomatoes
4-5 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 carrots finely chopped
1/4 cup Baby Corn
2 Peppers
Salt and Pepper
1 Tsp Red chilli powder
Paprika Powder to sprinkle (Optional)
Cajun Mix (Optional)
Sour Cream
1/2 cup curd
1 teaspoon Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Cream

Preparation
1. I soaked Brown rice and Kidney Beans together overnight. (Brown Rice takes an awfully long time to cook). In case you are using regular rice then just soak Kidney beans for 4-5 hours or use canned beans
2. Cut Tomatoes into quarters. Place them on any ovenproof dish (I used my smallest cake tin) put garlic cloves, sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper and heat it in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.

3. After 20 minutes take the pan out from the oven and squish tomatoes. This can be done well in advance before making this dish. I did it over the weekend and cooked the dish on Monday

4. Place curd on the center of a clean cotton cloth and tie the ends together. Hang the bundle a little  high. I tied the bundle to my kitchen shelf handle and placed a bowl beneath it. After 1 hour the water separated and my hung curd was ready. Whisk hung curd and then add vinegar, cream and salt. You can season it with celery (if available)
Update: I used Greek yoghurt and mixed vinegar and a pinch of honey and mustard

Method

1. Place onion at the bottom of the pressure cooker and spread barbecue sauce over it
2. Place Chicken Breast on top of onion
3. Spread the oven roasted tomato and garlic sauce over it
Update: I also made this dish with simple tomato puree and it tasted very nice
4. Drain water from the rice and kidney beans and put rice and kidney beans Over tomato sauce
5. Pour just enough water to cover all the ingredients. Add red chilli powder,  salt and pepper
(Optional: Sprinkle Paprika powder and Cajun Spice(Optional))
6. Pressure cook for about 20 minutes
7. Once done, using a spatula shred the chicken. The chicken will be very tender and will pull apart easily
8. Add all the chopped veggies and mix
9. Garnish with Coriander and serve with sour cream

Notes:
1. There are so many ways to make pulled chicken but in this dish all the flavors blend together when cooked in a pressure cooker
2. You can use vegetables as per your preference add korn, broccoli, bell peppers etc
I used the ones with crunchy texture which I didn't have to cook 
3.   The market was full of Big sized Green chillies. I decided to seize the opportunity and use them here. It was a very good idea. The flavor was impeccable


It is a comforting meal and a lot of preparation can be done beforehand.
Ciao..


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you for this comment! Your website is a little hard to navigate through! Just a FYI.

    ReplyDelete