My Kind Of Yellow..

8:46 AM

I am fascinated with color yellow. I just love the way it makes everything look so bright.
The mood changes in a matter of seconds. I never had any yellow color food related issues while growing up. I happily binged on kadhi chawal. There is something about this color. I connect it with happy times. I like yellow in food, songs, clothes etc.. I definitely don't like yellow in spreadsheets because that usually brings bad omen but lets not digress from happy things.

When I first came across this recipe I was immediately drawn towards it.. Yes, I admit it was the color. I noticed the word - "eggless" and closed the page immediately..  Those who know me know my love for eggs, butter and flour in every possible combination. Majority of our problems can be sorted with these three beautiful ingredients. Yes, I try to healthify my recipes every now and then but the core remains the combination of these three ingredients.

It was a long weekend and I wanted to bake something. Something different. My parents gave up non vegetarian food before I was born. We were raised as vegetarians with eggs making appearances in the pantry every now and then. Every time I bake for my parents I am always asked if I could try the vegetarian version of this recipe for them. So I decided to give it a shot. The previous attempts were not fruitful at all. I recalled seeing this yellow colored cake and decided to bring out my armor..

This recipe uses only 4-5 ingredients and the best part is that prep time is only 10 minutes. also, it is a one pot cake which makes things even simpler.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1.5 cups flour (Maida)
3/4 cup  Vanilla Custard Powder
2.5 Teaspoons Baking Powder
150 gms butter
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar ( or Plain sugar if not available)

Variation: I added pineapple chunks to make an egg-less pineapple fruit cake

                                                                    Steps


1. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees.
2. Line a cake tin with butter paper, grease and flour it well
3. Sift Flour, Custard Powder and baking powder together
4. Cream Butter and sugar together until it is soft and fluffy
5. Add the dry ingredients one third at a time alternating with milk
5. Whisk everything together well until it is yellow and creamy in texture
6. Pour the batter on the cake tin. If making a pineapple cake spread the chunks on the cake batter
7. Sprinkle brown sugar
8. Put it in the oven and bake for 40 minutes (at 180 degrees)
or until the cake is well risen and toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean

In my excitement I forgot to take the picture when it came out of the oven. The cake was nice and moist. Just while writing the post I decided to take a quick picture of the leftovers
*Make a mental note of religiously taking pictures*

Lessons Learnt

Click better pictures

You Might Also Like

0 comments